The history of Lviv Medical University goes back to 1661, when on 20 January the Jesuit Collegium in Lviv by the privilege of Polish King John II Casimir acquired the status of academy. It consisted of four departments and was awarded the title of the university. However, until the break-up of the university in 1773, the full-blown medical department was not established.
On 16 November 1784, according to the privilege of the Austrian emperor Joseph II, signed on 21 October 1784, Lviv University was revived with four faculties: theology, philosophy, law and medicine. Since then Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University started counting its age.
Beginning from 1961 University provides education for foreign citizens. During 50 years over 2,5 thousand doctors and pharmacists – foreigners have got education here and have been working successfully as doctors and pharmacists in many countries of the world. Education is provided in Ukrainian, Russian Language, and since 1997 the teaching of foreign students in English has been launched and is rapidly developing. Now 70% of University foreign students study in English Medium Program.